Domestic Extensions and Alterations
Extending your home is a great alternative to the upheaval of moving. Capstone regularly works on home extension and alteration projects, either providing structural drawings and specifications for your builder, working with your architect/architectural technician, or providing the whole service as the 'sole consultant'.
Work ranges from transforming a separate dining room & kitchen into an open plan living area, to major alterations and extensions, including basement conversions, loft conversions and rear extensions.
Work typically includes:
- An initial site visit to assess the building and your needs.
- Planning Application submission, or advice on 'permitted development'.
- Meeting the Building Regulation requirements (structural safety, thermal insulation, drainage, rules on staircases, glazing etc).
- If the building is listed, obtaining Listed Building Consent and meeting any Listed Building Conditions such as providing a detailed method statement as to how the work will be carried out, or how existing parts of the building will be protected and retained.
- Working up a clear set of 'existing' and 'proposed' drawings, and a specification for material construction quality.
- Providing a 'tender package' of information and obtaining competitive prices from suitable builders.
- Administering the building contract on your behalf, checking builder's invoices are appropriate, visiting site regularly to view the work in progress etc.